Thursday, April 9, 2009

Now that I am in transition, I thought I would jump into the blogging sphere. Initially, I was fueled by the idea that I should address the issue of age discrimination in the job market and my experiences. For advice on my rights, I researched a few web sites. What I found was abundant information about camouflaging your age so you would not seem like a person stuck in the 20th century and less about legal rights.

While I don't accept the notion that older people must look younger than their years to find a job, I realize that this economy has been uniformly unkind to talented people of all ages. Taking a closer look at my own motivation, I also realized that I wanted something very different for my next career and that was going to take time.

As I shifted my axis towards more positive thoughts, I realized that many of my colleagues had subtly influenced my change. Over the last several months, I have heard many wonderful stories about the new beginnings they were creating for themselves. Not all stories were about making more money or finding a better job. Many were about waking up one day and realizing that they were happier than they had been in a long time.

Not only have these stories of self-discovery stayed with me, they inspired me to finally start blogging. Over the next few months I will be inviting my friends and colleagues for a blog interview so they can share their stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment